Sunday, December 04, 2005

Mom's Birthday


Please help me in welcoming Tammy Wilder to Scrapiteria! Here's what she has to say about collage:

I started making collages right after I got sober 5 years ago and was in desperate need of something to occupy all the free time I suddenly had. I didn't realize it would become such a huge part of my life. I recently uprooted my life and started over in a different town largely because I wanted more time, and a better environment, for making collages. If I had to pick one artist that has influenced me the most, I would say Romare Bearden. Seeing his show at the SF MOMA a few years ago was my turning point. I'm inspired by lots of things, but mostly by the feelings I get from stories I hear or tell or imagine. I love stories--I used to want to be a fiction writer but I wasn't any good at writing details, and it's awfully hard to write a good story without details. With collage I get to tell a story, or the way it feels, and leave the details of the story up to you. I like that. It's perfect for me.

8 comments:

Scrapatorium said...

Welcome Tammy! Glad to have you aboard!

mrdantefontana said...

Wow, she's really great!

Arty said...

exactly-and welcome welcome

Arty said...

the story -I meant to say, is writing itself in my mind. Lovely and subtle and human

scrappyboy said...

hey tammy,
can't wait to see more of your work. welcome.......

Anonymous said...

Your honesty, Refreshing
Your collage, Seamless
Welcome

Wastedpapiers said...

Always good to see another point of view. Look forward to seeing more of Tammy's work. Welcome!

Anonymous said...

Hey ya'll, thanks so much for the nice welcome. I've haven't looked forward to Thursday nights so much since Family Ties was on the air.