Sunday, February 19, 2006

Nobody Likes a Quitter

Please welcome our newest member, Jim Kaufmann!

My interest in collage is recent, surprising, and endlessly pleasurable. I think it began in November when I went to Minneapolis to see Gary Taxali and his paintings at an Ox-Op Gallery opening. That same weekend Minneapolis had Art Attack!, a huge open studio event, and there was just tons of art to absorb. On the way back my wife and I stopped at the SPAM Museum in Austin, MN. Somehow all of this, plus a stalled-out novel, added up to an obsession with making art, most of it collage. It feels like home. As for influences, I like the usual suspects--Hoch, Schwitters, Rauschenberg, Cornell. On the more contemporary side I like Bill Zindel and Jason Sherry.

8 comments:

Scrapatorium said...

I'll be the first to officially welcome you Jim! Glad to have you onboard.

onehuman said...

Hello Jim,
Welcome!
Your first collage is fantastic.
I hope there will be many more to follow.

Punwit said...

Hi Jim, interesting works on your site too. You'll find loads of fun & inspiration with us, I expect!

scrappyboy said...

Hey Jim,welcome to the site.

Wastedpapiers said...

Good to see you here Jim. A great start and many to come we hope!

Arty said...

welcome Jim

Virtual Scrap Heap said...

Hi Jim!

I really like the work on your site. I've had four or five images of the Golden Book series covers for years, and seeing you use the Weather cover has me inspired to finally find a use for them :)

James Kaufmann said...

I had a ton of Golden Books as a kid and studied them with fierce intensity. I was especially fond of the one on beetles but also reptiles and amphibians since I kept those on and off when I was young.